Thursday, May 9, 2013

Can a homeless man conquer himself and choose his destiny?

Most people say what has worked for them after they have reached a certain level of success in their lives. Since I am in the midst of my poverty mindset and don't really know what is going to work, I will discipline myself to post each day of my struggles and on my victories for that day.

 I have come to a point a desperate point, where I am challenging myself to conquer myself and my situation. The first place I am looking to make significant change is in my way of thinking. Will I pull myself up out of my current circumstances to the life that I want and desire? or will I quit and fail if it gets to hard?

I don't know what will happen.........

I am 34 years old, I just recently spent almost 3 years living out of my truck while working at a Job. The reason I had to live out of my truck is because I was faced with a simple decision, do I pay my child support? or do I use that money to rent a place to live? Unfortunately, I could not do both. I chose to pay the child support, despite the fact that my daughter and I really did not have a good relationship. In making this decision, I experienced one of the most difficult and embarrassing times in my life.

Here are the main areas that I am challenging myself to change in.

  • My thoughts: I consistently focus on what is not going right in my life and curse the universe
  • My Health: I am 5"8 and weighed 207lbs. I now weigh 180lbs
  • My Relationships: I am single and want a wife & Develop deeper relationship with Daughter & nephews
  • My Finances: I currently make $10,800 a year. I want to make that my monthly bring home pay
  • My Skills: I want to be a motivational speaker and author.
  • My Survival skills: I am one belt away from getting my first martial arts blackbelt
  • My Home: I want to have a roof over my head that is mine. I currently live with my mother





2 comments:

  1. I admire your honesty, openness, courage, and resolve, and I wish you good luck and continuing perseverance. Thank you for posting your thoughts; I’m sure it’s not easy. There is a powerful trust informing the decision to make your struggle public, a trust in the world and a trust in yourself. I admire you for doing this. I write as someone in somewhat similar circumstances, not as someone on the other side of the struggle, so to speak. I lived in my truck (though only for five weeks) last winter, while I drove across the country. I left behind me a broken family, a lost career as a professor, a community I was deeply involved with (through public office, among other things), and a long dependence on prescription pain medication. I left behind a life in ashes. Wrestling with guilt, a sense of defeat and inadequacy, despair verging on suicide, and anger that is at times molten has been nothing short of a struggle for life. Hang in there, man; know that your struggle inspires my admiration. A homeless man can indeed conquer himself and chose his destiny. If I didn’t believe this, I would not be alive. The fact is, you have a seed of fire in you; tend it. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Willing, a man or women can slip into homelessness as easy as slipping on ice or a wet floor and it can be unexpected and happen quickly. You inspire me to make change in my life Willing. When I started this I did not know if anyone would care to read but you have shown me that I am not alone. Thank You so much.

    ReplyDelete